Safeguarding Children and Young People

Learn about our child safety policies and how to report child abuse.

If you believe a child or young person is in immediate danger, call 000 without delay. 

Our safeguarding approach

Derwent Valley Council is a child safe organisation and has a zero tolerance for child abuse and harm.

We believe that every child and young person has the right to feel safe, be safe, and be heard.

Our statement of commitment encompasses the duties of all council officers, employees, contractors, volunteers and Councillors.

Derwent Valley Council Child Safe Statement of Commitment

  • We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of children and young people while enabling their participation as valued members of our community.
  • We have zero tolerance to child abuse and harm. Our people are obligated to prioritise the safety of the children they interact with in the performance of their role and to report conduct of concern.
  • We recognise the importance of child safety in the provision of quality community services. All children who attend services, programs, events, and community spaces (including online environments) that are delivered, owned, contracted, or managed by Council, have the right to feel safe, be safe, and be heard.
  • We recognise our legal and moral responsibilities in keeping children and young people safe and have robust policies and procedures in place to meet this commitment that are aligned with the National Principles for Child Safe Organisations.
  • We want children to thrive, be safe, happy, and empowered, and are dedicated to ensuring their views are listened to and respected, and they are given opportunities to contribute to how we plan and deliver our services that affect them.
  • We are committed to being a Child Safe Organisation.

To achieve our vision for a child safe Derwent Valley, we know that we must all work together to ensure our children and young people are safe, happy and thrive.

We are one of the first Councils in Tasmania to adopt a Safeguarding Children and Young People Policy. We continue to review and improve how we embed child safety into our systems, practices and decision-making.

Learn more about some of the ways we do this:

Reporting Child Abuse

Find the information you need to make a disclosure or report your child safety concerns.

What should I do if I feel unsafe, or worried that one of my friends is unsafe?

Tell an adult you trust. This might be a parent, family member, teacher, welfare officer, coach, doctor, or therapist. It can also be someone you trust from one of our services or programs you attend, like a council officer, community development officer, youth worker, or even a customer service officer.

The adults at our services can help you and will take your concerns seriously.

Read our Child Safe Code of Conduct for Children and Young People to learn more about your rights and what our staff will do when you tell them you feel unsafe.

If you don’t have an adult you can trust you can call the Strong Families Safe Kids Advice and Referral Line on 1800 000 123. When you call they will talk to you about the situation, answer any questions you have, and give you information or advice that will help.

You can also go to your local police station to make a report or call 000 if you are in immediate danger and need help.

Getting help and support

If you need to talk to someone, here are some other places you can get online and phone support:

If the situation is life threatening or the child/young person is in immediate danger, call Triple Zero (000).

Child protection

If you have a concern about the safety and wellbeing of a child, contact:

Strong Families, Safe Kids advice and referral line - 1800 000 123You can also report concerns using the online contact form available at:

  • Anyone can contact the Advice and Referral Line. You will talk to a person with experience in child wellbeing and safety. They will provide the right support for the best outcomes for children and their families.

Sexual abuse

If you believe that another adult has sexually offended against a child under 16 you must report this information to police as soon as possible. Failure to do so could amount to a criminal offence.

If you want to report that a child is in immediate risk of sexual abuse, call Triple Zero (000).

For free and confidential support for people who have been affected by sexual violence, contact the Tasmanian Sexual Assault Support Line (24 hour response state-wide) phone: 1800 697 877 or visit

Make a complaint

If you wish to make a complaint about the behaviour of a Council worker towards a child or young person, contact Derwent Valley Council on 03 6261 8500 and ask to speak with the General Manager about a child safety matter.

Helplines  and support services

Quick links to a range of helplines, counselling and support services.