Covid-19 Information and Updates - Updated 6 January 2021

To reduce the number of face-to-face interactions with the community and protect our staff and their ability to carry out ongoing essential services, the Derwent Valley Council Offices are open to the public from 10am - 4pm from Monday 24 August for essential visits only.

Council operating hours are still 8.15am – 5pm (Mon - Fri) and Council services can be accessed over the phone, by email or via our website. We encourage all enquiries by phone or email where possible.

Information on the Tasmanian Government and Council's response to COVID-19.

This information includes support available to individuals, business and community organisations including grant funding and mental health support and where to access further information around the pandemic and Council services.

Please stay home, save lives. Practise social distancing and good hygiene practises.

Dismiss alert

Stray Dog - Found

During Normal Business Hours

8.15am till 5.00pm Monday to Friday

Should you find a stray dog please call the Council.  If it is safe and you are able to secure the dog in a yard or by a lead thus preventing the dog from free roaming.  A Council Officer will collect the dog and use all the correct resources to ensure the dog’s owner is found.  It is a misconception that when the Council collects a dog it is going to be destroyed.  The dog will be checked for registration and a microchip.  It is simply the best practice and most likely way for an animal to be reunited with its owner utilising all the modern facilities. Please, under no circumstances should you attempt to secure or remove a dog if it appears aggressive.

Contact the Council during business hours to report a stray dog.

After Hours

Members of the public who have secured a stray dog outside of Council’s normal working hours are encouraged to take the dog to the Dog’s Home (Scotts Rd, Risdon Vale) between the hours of 10.00am and 5.00pm.

Alternatively, they can keep the dog until the next working day and contact the Council administration offices.