Covid-19 Information and Updates - Updated 6 January 2021

To reduce the number of face-to-face interactions with the community and protect our staff and their ability to carry out ongoing essential services, the Derwent Valley Council Offices are open to the public from 10am - 4pm from Monday 24 August for essential visits only.

Council operating hours are still 8.15am – 5pm (Mon - Fri) and Council services can be accessed over the phone, by email or via our website. We encourage all enquiries by phone or email where possible.

Information on the Tasmanian Government and Council's response to COVID-19.

This information includes support available to individuals, business and community organisations including grant funding and mental health support and where to access further information around the pandemic and Council services.

Please stay home, save lives. Practise social distancing and good hygiene practises.

Dismiss alert

Restricted Dog Breed Legislation

On the 1 July 2010, changes to the Dog Control Act of 2000 were proclaimed and officially became the new State laws. There were a number of amendments to the Act however the implementation of Restricted Breed Legislation is one major area that came into effect. The following dog breeds must comply with the new legislation; 

  •  American Pit Bull or Pit Bull Terrier
  •  Dogo Argentino
  •  Fila Brasileiro
  •  Japanese Tosa
  •  Perro de Presa Canario or Presa Canario

If the dog is registered, listed or recognised as one of these breeds or types it will now be declared under the Act as a Restricted Breed dog. The owners or person in charge of a restricted breed dog must ensure that;

  • the dog is desexed;
  • it is implanted with an approved microchip;
  • the dog is on lead and muzzled when in a public place;
  • the dog wears an approved restricted breed collar at all times;
  • the premises where the dog is kept displays the approved restricted breed warning signs on every entrance.

More information and frequently asked questions about Restricted Breed Legislation are available on our web site and at the Council administration offices.  If you can't find an answer to your question, or require more information please contact us.