Covid-19 Information and Updates - Updated 2 November

To reduce the number of face-to-face interactions with the community and protect our staff and their ability to carry out ongoing essential services, the Derwent Valley Council Offices will reopen to the public from 10am - 4pm from Monday 24 August for essential visits only.

Council operating hours are still 8.15am – 5pm (Mon - Fri) and Council services can be accessed over the phone, by email or via our website. We encourage all enquiries by phone or email where possible.

Information on the Tasmanian Government and Council's response to COVID-19.

This information includes support available to individuals, business and community organisations including grant funding and mental health support and where to access further information around the pandemic and Council services.

Please stay home, save lives. Practise social distancing and good hygiene practises.

Dismiss alert

Planning and Building Information

Council has put together the following information to help Derwent Valley residents figure out what guidelines or restrictions may apply when thinking about undertaking works to their property.

Driveway Crossings

Access to driveways over kerb and gutters, footpaths and nature strips is the responsibility of the property owner, from the edge of the roadway to the property boundary. If properties share a driveway they share joint responsibility. More info

Fencing Guidelines

Council receives many enquiries relating to fencing matters. A list of FAQs have been produced to assist residents with enquiries relating to boundary fencing and special requirements for swimming pool fencing. Access the FAQs.

Nature Strips

The Derwent Valley Council encourages residents to beautify the area of land between the footpath edge and the kerb of the road known as the nature strip. See the guidelines around maintaining and upkeep of your strip and when you may need to contact Council.

The Planning Process

The planning approval process regulates how land is used and developed by considering all applications against state planning laws and relevant planning schemes.

If you have a general planning enquiry, you can contact Council's Planner on 6261 8500 or email,au, including your contact details. Find out when a planning permit is required and further information you may need to know.

Trees and Shrubs

This information can help avoid potential problems when selecting and planting trees and inform what might be done if a problem does occur. More info.

Working From Home

A business may be operated from your home without Council approval, providing following conditions are met. More info.