I'm Looking for...

Receive the latest Council Updates


Lost Dogs

The Dog Control Act 2000 states that all dogs in Tasmania are to be kept under effective control and that they do not cause a nuisance. U nder this law an owner or the person in charge of a dog can be held responsible for the actions of a dog in their care.

What to do if your dog is lost?

  • search your local area;
  • contact your local Veterinarians;
  • Tasmanian Lost Pet Register (Facebook).

If your dog has been in an accident it may have been taken to the Vet. Many Vets keep a lost dog register and will contact you if someone reports finding a dog like yours. 

  • contact the Lost Dogs Home.

Your dog may have been rescued by the Municipal Inspector and taken to the pound for safe keeping.  The Municipal Inspector may know the whereabouts of your dog if it has been found by some other person.  If your dog is not at the pound leave a clear description of the dog and your details so that if the dog is found the Council can contact you.

  • contact your Council;
  • advertise in the paper, on the radio, at shopping centres;
  • do not just wait for it to come back;
  • use social media.

You dog may be injured, may enter premises where it is not allowed to be, or it may have been taken to the pound.

A A A|
Derwent Valley Council
The Derwent Valley Municipal area is characterised by its ever growing rural townships, green hills and river valley environment. Major features of the Derwent Valley municipality include its land and fresh water resources.
Contact Council
Circle Street
PO Box 595
New Norfolk Tas 7140
Fax: 03 6261 8546
Opening Hours
Monday - Friday
8:15am to 5:00pm
(Closed on Public Holidays)