Covid-19 Information and Updates - Updated 6 January 2021

To reduce the number of face-to-face interactions with the community and protect our staff and their ability to carry out ongoing essential services, the Derwent Valley Council Offices are open to the public from 10am - 4pm from Monday 24 August for essential visits only.

Council operating hours are still 8.15am – 5pm (Mon - Fri) and Council services can be accessed over the phone, by email or via our website. We encourage all enquiries by phone or email where possible.

Information on the Tasmanian Government and Council's response to COVID-19.

This information includes support available to individuals, business and community organisations including grant funding and mental health support and where to access further information around the pandemic and Council services.

Please stay home, save lives. Practise social distancing and good hygiene practises.

Dismiss alert


In accordance with the Food Act 2003 any person wishing to sell, store, transport or handle food for sale (includes charitable and community events) must obtain registration under the act before commencing operations. To obtain registration an applicant is to complete the 'Notification of a Food Business form', this form is to be forwarded to Council's Environmental Health Officer, who will forward an 'Application for Registration of a Food Business'.

Food Act 2003 is a Act to ensure the provision of food that is safe and fit for human consumption and to promote good nutrition and for related matters

For further information please contact Derwent Valley Council's, Environmental Health Officer on (03) 6261 8500.

There are many food businesses located within the Derwent Valley Council area, including community and charity organisations, restaurants, hotels, cafes, bakeries, supermarkets, child care centre, nursing home and hospital.

Council’s Environmental Health Officers (EHO’s) are involved in conducting routine inspections of these businesses to ensure compliance with the Food Act 2003, Food Regulations 2002 and Food Safety Standards as well as to provide advice and guidance on food safety to business owners.

What is a food business?

A food business is any business that handles or sells any type of food for sale, with the exception of some primary industry activities. Manufacturers, restaurants, take-away and supermarkets are clearly food businesses. Less obvious food businesses include B&B's, food stalls at fetes, service stations that sell packaged food, and food provided under a contract of service such as supper served at a dinner dance or lunch served at a staff canteen.

Starting a food business

The Food Act requires food businesses to submit a Food Business Notification Form to Council before commencing operation or when ownership changes. This information will ensure Council has correct and up to date contact details, location and the nature of the food business. The Food Business Notification form is only required to be completed once, unless the details of the food business change.

Council also strongly recommends that you seek advice from an Environmental Health Officer on the fit out of any food business before undertaking any upgrades of premises to ensure that your works comply with requirements of the Food Safety Standards.

The scenarios below will assist in determining if a Food Business Notification Form is required.

Routine food inspections

Routine food inspections conducted by Environmental Health Officers involve an assessment of areas including:
  • Receipt of food
  • Storage of food
  • Processing of food
  • Display of food
  • Packaging of food
  • Transportation and distribution of food
  • Recalls/food disposal
  • Health, hygiene and knowledge of food operators
  • Condition and hygiene of food premises
If you require assistance to interpret sections of the Food Safety Standards, please refer to the Safe Food Australia as a guide or further information regarding food safety can also be obtained by contacting Council's Environmental Health Officer on 03 6261 8500.

Food inspection fee

Under section 11 of the Food Regulations 2002, Councils can impose an inspection fee for the carrying out of any food inspection or audit. Please refer to the Schedule of fees and charges. Please Note: Council do not charge for inspections of temporary food premises and non for profit organisation.


Where offences relating to food safety occur, Environmental Health Officers have the power to issue Infringement Notices or for more serious matters, may issue an Improvement Notice or Prohibition Orders which have substantial penalties for non-compliance.

Food Stalls

If you would like to have a food stall on the street you need to complete a Food Business Notification Form and a Temporary Food Permit Notification Form. Unless your stall is for a charity or fundraising organisation, there is a $5.00 fee for your stall that you pay when you lodge the form.

If you wish to run an event with food and other stalls on private land you will need to complete an Event Organiser Temporary Food Event Notification Form and ensure all food stall holders complete a Food Business Notification Form. There is no lodgement fee.

Home Activity

If you would like to prepare food at home for a sports event, community event or charity event you need to decide if you are selling the food, or are the people you give the food to selling it as part of an event? For example, a meal included in the event cost?

If you are not charging for the food it is not regulated by the Food Act or Council. However, you still have a general duty of care under the Tasmanian Public Health Act to ensure the food you give away does not make people ill.

If you are selling the food you need to complete a Food Business Notification Form.

Accomodation Business

If you would like to open a B&B will you be providing food as part of the accomodation, or are you providing self contained accomodation where the guests buy and prepare their own food?

If it is self contained it is not regulated by the Food Act or Council.

If you are providing food you will need to complete a Food Business Notification Form so your B&B can be correctly classed and your details recorded. There is no lodgement fee.